Wednesday, March 19, 2014

OPI: Glitter On...Glitter Off!

Today I am sharing my experiment using OPI Glitter Off "Natural Nail Base Coat".  I'm happy to see that OPI recognizes the horror of removing glitters from the nail, and took strides to present easier options for us.  It is a true LOVE/HATE relationship!

I don't know if you are familiar with the "white glue method".  Nail gals discovered, that if they applied regular white school glue to the nail ,before painting them with a glitter, that it could be peeled off with ease instead of the more difficult way of using a remover.  It was a genius discovery, and works very well, however you would need to buy the glue, find an extra empty bottle and thin it out to your preference. However, OPI has made that all easier for us. Now, you can buy their bottle and apply as a base coat...that's it!






















I paired my bottle with "That's Mint" from KBShimmer's Misfit Collection.

I applied 2 coats of the Glitter Off.  The brush is a bit slimmer than the usual OPI brush and shorter.  The consistency is like a thicker version of a nail treatment.  The glitter off also takes about 5-10 minutes to dry.

 It looks like "white school glue", but doesn't have the same smell.  Once I applied the first coat on my clean nail,  the edges "shrunk away", like oil does to water.  Sooo, I applied a second coat and followed it with three coats of the glitter, and one coat of Seche Vite top coat.

This is what happened the next day...














Yep, I lost 3 nails by the next afternoon. Two from the right, and one from the left.   One fell off while taking off my seat belt, another while taking clothes out of the dryer and the third while taking out the trash, LOL! If it wasn't for the fact that they were neon green, I wouldn't have found them lying around the floor of my house and car.


















Removal was super easy...of course! After three nails "popped off", I was no imagining this would be a difficult process, LOL!















I just grabbed my trusted "orange stick", found the "free edge" of the polish and nail, and POPPED them off!














After I was done, this is what I had. Not bad, there was some extra "Glitter Off" left over on my pinkie and around the cuticle of my other nails...














...but that was easily removed with remover. No worries!



Overall, this worked a little too well, but I think that was because I used a cream based glitter for my post. OPI says this is supposed to last a couple days, but mine didn't even last 24 hours, LOL! :) Soooo if you already use the "school glue" / PVA glue method and it works for you, then keep using it, no need to purchase this.

Next time I'll use a hard core glitter to put this to the TEST...any glitter suggestions?

Glitter Off features OPI’s exclusive ProWide Brush for the ultimate in application. Glitter Off will be available March 2014, at Professional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Beauty First, Chatters, Dillard’s, jcp Salons, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, ULTA and ulta.com for $9.00 ($10.95 CAN) suggested retail. 

For more information, please call 800-341-9999 or visit www.opi.com. Follow OPI on Twitter @OPI_PRODUCTS and become a Facebook fan!


Keep It Sweet!

*OPI Product sent by PR for review.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I bought a bottle of this last weekend and I only got around to testing it on one nail and it worked great. I definitely won't be using it all the time but it's a fun product to have on hand. I'm sure bloggers that are swatching multiple polishes each day will love it. It's probably a lot better than using acetone all the time.

Nailmattic said...

Yes... I got this last week, thanks for the demo girly :))))

Melissa said...

The same thing always happens to me when I use glue. I'm lucky to make it 24 hours before I start losing 'nails'. If you just want the glitter polish for a special occasion like a night out, it's great - but otherwise not very practical.

I also found that repeated use of the glue method is very drying on your nails.

Unknown said...

Yes, I had high hopes for this product as well. I will use it when I want to wear a glitter for a one day event...knowing that they will pop off the next day and hopefully not that night LOL!

Tracey said...

Great review !!

I'm looking forward to trying this with glitter and Liquid
Sand over my gel manicures

Shieldmaiden96 said...

Thanks so much for this review. I was very curious about this. I guess I'll keep using glue and spend my money on the tinted topcoat!