Wednesday, April 2, 2014

OPI: Having fun with OPI Sheer Tints! Swatches and Review

So like many, when I got my polishes in the mail I was super excited to see them in person.  Those bright jelly colors were calling me....then it hit me...how do I actually use them? LOL!

Yes, they are sheer, and no amount of layer building makes them opaque enough that the visible nail line (VNL) isn't  shown, so I decided to re-read my post sent by OPI PR on these beauties. Ohhhh, layered over OTHER colors...the light bulb went off, LOL!
















First I want to show you how sheer they are, and what they look like by themselves...bring on the naked nails, Eeekk, LOL!

OPI "I'm Never Amberrassed"
Left to Right: 4 coats, 3 coats, 2 coats and 1 coat
No top coat

















OPI "Be Magentale With Me"
Left to Right: 4 coats, 3 coats, 2 coats and 1 coat
No top coat

















OPI "Don't Violet Me Down"
Left to Right: 4 coats, 3 coats, 2 coats and 1 coat
No top coat

















Because the consistency of these polishes are very gel like, they tend to bubble up when they are layered, can you see the bubbles on the middle finger?


















I bet you can see them now, LOL! this is at three coats.  Not pretty!

OPI "I Can Teal You Like Me"
Left to Right: 4 coats, 3 coats, 2 coats and 1 coat
No top coat

















These applied like a gel, smooth  with a thick application. Because they are thick, they do not dry in the regular amount of time, so when layering, add another 2 minutes onto your "wait time" before you add another coat, or layer over another color.

Okay so now you can see that wearing them by themselves is not ideal, but still it can be pretty if you like the sheer look, or you do not have a VNL.  Since I do not like the sheer look, I decided to layer them.

For my first layering manicure, I layered each color over one of the latest OPI glitters "Desperately Seeking Sequins".














I started with 2 coats of the glitter then, 2 coats of the sheer tints.















Since DSS has a clear base with added glitter, you still get the sheer look, but with more sparkle and pizzazz.  But, if the VNL bothers you (like it does me), then I found the manicure for you.  I first saw this manicure on Pinterest.  It was done by Fierce Makeup and Nails, and I fell in LOVE with it!  I knew I had to do it too!
















LOVE!  It's fluid and gorgeous, and screams SPRING!  All I did was apply two coats of OPI "Alpine Snow" (a plain white cream) and then I brushed on the tinted colors in random strokes. Since the sheer tints tend to bubble up, I made sure only to apply one coat of each color only.


















I made sure to overlap certain colors to obtain other colors. Yellow over pink for orange/peach, yellow over blue for green, etc. :)  After I was done with my colors, I layered my usual two coats of top coat and I was done.

















I loved this manicure so much, I think I may actually repeat it for Easter...on my hands and toes too!

The colors look a bit brighter in the sunlight, so I took a picture indoors too.



















Yep, still pretty! :)

Sheer Tints features OPI’s exclusive ProWide Brush for the ultimate in application. Sheer Tints will be available March 2014, atProfessional Salons, including Beauty Brands, Beauty First, Chatters, Dillard’s, jcp Salons, Pure Beauty, Regis, Trade Secret, ULTA and ulta.com for $9.00 ($10.95 CAN) suggested retail for each nail lacquer. 
For more information, please call 800-341-9999 or visit www.opi.com. Follow OPI on Twitter @OPI_PRODUCTS and become aFacebook fan!

Keep It Sweet!

*Product sent by PR for review

Pin It!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great swatches and love the nail art! These are so much fun! The possibilities are endless.

Anonymous said...

I was very much a bit meh about these from the swatches. After seeing your review and the lovely manicure at the bottom I want these in my life. Xxx