Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Nail Polish PSA: Bad Helmer Drawer Liners

Today I'm doing a Public Service Announcement, PSA!  On one of my facebook nail group pages, we were discussing drawer liners for the IKEA Helmer. Helmer is the drawer system used by many nail polish lovers to store their polish bottles.

I, like most wanted to line my drawers immediately once I bought the Helmer, and I did. I went to Target and chose these...























Up close...














Here is a post I did on my drawers back in 2010, HERE.   See how nice the black liners are...yeah...well last year around X-mas, 2011, I noticed something odd was happening to my bottles...THIS....














and THIS...














Looking at this picture, makes me SCREAM! The Zoya bottles were getting "grease spots" on them, and some labels were falling off...OH NO!!!! and my beloved OPI's...well they were intact but they were losing their codes...OH HELL NO!!!!

Here is a comparison of my damaged bottle and a good bottle....














Damaged bottle on the left, good bottle on the right! Luckily this is the only bottle that is severely damaged, most of the other 15 or so OPI bottles, that were damaged are just partially "smudged". :(:(

So my suggestion is, if you have these liners, stop using them...and if you do not have them. Do not buy this brand or kind. LOL!!!

Also if you know of any other liners I can use, please email me  (My info is on the "Contact" page up top) and let me know. Thanks :)

Keep It Sweet!

Pin It!

16 comments:

Simona @lightyournails said...

I use a transparent one which is meant to be used for kitchen drawers and it comes from Ikea, too. I bought it together with the Helmer. A roll is good for the 6 drawers, perfection. It's called RATIONELL VARIERA if you want to look for it!

~Elizabeth aka Lacquered Lizard said...

I went with not lining. So glad I did!

Erika said...

I use blue rubbery drawer liner that I bought at Big Lots for a dollar a roll to line my Melmer drawers. I have used ti since January and so far, so good. :)

Unknown said...

@SimonaLightYourNails- I will buy these when I go to buy my 3rd Helmer, thanks!

LB said...

I just discovered my polishes doing the same thing! Grr!! I am going to remove the liners. They have become nothing but trouble.

Unknown said...

@Kris In Philly- Save your babies, HURRY! LOL!!!!

Nailant said...

I *just* added the ones from IKEA that Simona mentioned, I'm so glad that was what I chose!

~*~Jens Wonderland~*~ said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this. A few of my OPIs were starting to bleed on the serial codes on the bottom. I have removed all of my liners and made bumpers for the back space that can never be filled.

My Nail Polish Obsession said...

I went with the clear liner from Ikea as well. Havne't noticed any grease spots on my bottles. ): sorry this happened.

Unknown said...

Omg! Im running home to check my drawers!

Anonymous said...

I have two Alex's from Ikea and went with their own clear drawer liner hopefully this will not happen with these

PolishPig said...

I have used the Ikea Variera liner since 2009 and everything is dandy. It is thicker and probably a bit more trouble to cut to the right size but it works very well once in place. Good stuff!

Unknown said...

Thank You for all the comments and suggestions, it looks like I will be getting the clear "Variera" liners from Ikea, when I go to buy my 3rd Helmer. Thanks Ladies! :):)

my pretty paints said...

Oh wow! Thanks for posting this! I just bought a beige liner kind of like this from Target. I don't know if I should use this now. I would hate for a label to fall off and not know what color I'm using. Good looking out!!

ashley said...

that is horrible. i bought a liner from target a few years ago and kept extra to line my alex. i have a different brand

Anonymous said...

I have four of the Ikea tall Alex's and I've used their own clear draw liner on all of them. My first one I've had a year and not had any of this happening to my bottles. Well worth buying it with the Alex's