Thursday, July 28, 2011

A chick, a straw and some paint.

So after seeing all the great "splatter manicures" around the blogosphere, you know I had to try.

The method is that you paint your nail any color, then dip a straw into nail polish (the bottle or dip it into a glob of polish on a plate or foil), then place over the nail and BLOW!!!!!!

So here are my results!!!















Left hand














Right Hand. What do you think? I like the right hand better than the left :)














I used OPI "Alpine Snow", 2 coats, since white polish is a great base for neon's.  Then to "splatter", I used  China Glaze "Pool Party", "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and "Towel Boy Toy". All topped with 2 coats of top coat :)

Yeah it makes a MESS!, so here are some tips:

1. Use a smaller straw, like those used as coffee stirrers. The "splatter" is more controlled.

2. Tape up your fingers along the sides and the across the cuticle, or smear petroleum jelly in the same area before you start, for easy clean up.

3. I prefer to drop the paint on a piece of foil and then dip the straw in that.  Dipping the straw in the bottle can waste a lot of paint, and it makes the straw even messier.

4. Wear clothing you don't care about, the paint may get on  them.

5. Have an eyeliner brush and acetone ready to clean up the sides. 

5. Don't try and be perfect, just have fun! :)














I said, I wasn't going to do this again, but looking back at my nails... I think I actually WILL do this again!














Right Thumb.














Left Thumb















Everyone who saw my hands, was amazed at how cool they came out, and even more amazed that I did them myself. :P

Have you already tried this method? Which color combination's did you use?
Pin It!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

This is cute and creative!! I'll have to give this a try!

Steffie said...

So pretty. Looks like jawbreakers.

Johanna (Paillette) said...

Very beautiful!!

I think a video would be a hoot, and really hard to do!

Amazing results!!!

Katie said...

Love this! Yours came out great! I'm looking forward to trying my first splatter manicure.

Kat said...

Love it! I'm so going to try this!

AllThingsNails! said...

Great job and neat technique! I'm gonna try this on my nieces - they'd love it. :)

Moe said...

Ö.Ö

wow, this is cool! i´ve never heard of this before. i will try it

Unknown said...

looks great!! gotta give this a try very soon, been seeing everyone do this and they all have great results. looks like fun!!

CallaLily said...

OMG, I love love love how this turned out. It is absolutely gorgeous and I'm going to try this too! Thanks for sharing.

Liz Marrufo said...

so creative:) i love it! and the colors are so summer time:)

KarenD said...

I haven't tried this yet--afraid I will make even more of a mess than I do when water marbling. :) Looks like fun, though!

Freshie said...

Gorgeous!! I never thought to use a coffee straw, I made quite a mess myself on the first one.

Melissa said...

Love the color choices. I've yet to try a splatter manicure.

Nymphette said...

This is lovely!

Gwen - SpaceLifeThoughts said...

You did a great job! It suits with your candy background :D

Beyond Blush said...

turned out great! I'll have to try this out soon :)

greeneyespinknails said...

Beautiful mani! It looks great on you!

Haven't tried a splatter mani next but it's on my list!

Just started my own blog (greeneyespinknails@blogspot.com); check it out if ever you feel like it and have time to do so.

Greeneyespinknails

polish20 said...

Nice! This is a nice alternative to water marbeling. I'm gonna try it!